A devastating 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck south-eastern Turkey near the border with Syria in the early hours of Monday 6 February 2023. A further earthquake of magnitude 7.5 has struck eastern Turkey on Tuesday, 7 February.
Many thousands of men, women and children have died or are injured in the aftermath of the earthquakes in Turkey and Syria. It is not too late to save lives. Christian Aid is already working with partners in Northwest Syria to provide winter kits to people seeking shelter. Every prayer, every gift, every action brings hope to people hit by disaster.
To save lives and give people hope, please donate what you can today.
Even before this devastating earthquakes, there were over four million people in need of aid in Northwest Syria.
Nearly 3 million people have been displaced by the long conflict in Syria, 80% of whom are women and children.
Now extreme weather events and the spiraling costs of food and fuel prices due to ongoing conflicts are making the situation even worse.
People are facing a crisis on crisis.
The response to humanitarian needs in Ukraine has been remarkable. We must also live up to our commitments to those impacted by the earthquakes in Turkey and Syria.
Christian Aid has been working with local partners in Northwest Syria since 2012.
The main needs according to our partner field teams are:
- Winter kits including blankets, mattresses, food parcels and heating material. Partners had already procured £40,000/€45,456 of winter kits using Christian Aid's funding prior to the earthquake and have started distributing these immediately within collective shelters in North-West Syria.
- Preparing shelters to help people find some safety indoors from the weather.
- Work with other local actors in debris removal and rescue efforts.
Other needs that are expected are:
- Education in emergencies
- Mental health and psychosocial support, particularly for children and young people
- Basic water, sanitation, hygiene and dignity support
- Basic food, shelter, and health support
The vast majority of people in northwest Syria are already in desperate need of aid after years of conflict. Again and again the public dig deep to help people in their time of need but every penny makes a huge difference to support people rebuild their lives.
- Rosamond Bennett, Chief Executive, Christian Aid Ireland.
Prayer for the Turkey and Syria Earthquake Appeal
God of time and space, we cry to you for your children - our neighbours - in southern Turkey and northern Syria, following the earthquake that has devastated hundreds of lives. Only they and you know what it is like to experience such trauma in the middle of the night.
We give thanks for the aid that is already being given and for the promises of help that have been made by many nations.
Comfort, we pray,
those who are trapped in collapsed buildings;
those who have lost loved ones;
those who wait for news and
those digging through rubble to save others.
Grant the gift of hope so that those caught between life and death know that you are with them and that others are ready to support them as they seek a future that overshadows the experiences of today.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus, who endured so much for love of them.