Skip to main content
Three boys carry home emergency aid kits after Hurricane Matthew in Haiti

Gift Aid

Your donation could be worth almost 25% more - at no extra cost to you. Make your donation go further with Gift Aid.

If you are a UK taxpayer, Gift Aid allows us to reclaim tax on donations you have made to Christian Aid. That means for every £1 you have donated, the government will give us an extra 25p - at no extra cost to you.

You can choose to Gift Aid your donations when you give online. Or give us a call at any time and we can set that up over the phone. 

What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid is a government initiative which allows charities, such as Christian Aid, to reclaim basic rate tax (25%) on donations made by UK taxpayers.

If you pay tax in the UK and you give your permission through a Gift Aid declaration form, we can claim 25p on every £1 you donate to us, making your gifts worth more to the communities Christian Aid supports.

Do I qualify for Gift Aid?

To qualify for Gift Aid, you must pay enough income tax and/or capital gains tax in the UK in that tax year (from 6 April one year to 5 April the next) to cover the tax that all the charities or Community Amateur Sports Clubs will reclaim through Gift Aid on your donations for that same tax year.

For example, if you donate £100 a year, you will need to pay at least £25 or more in income tax and/or capital gains tax for that tax year to qualify for Gift Aid.

What if I pay a higher rate of tax?

If you pay a higher tax rate, you can claim the difference between the higher rate (40%) and basic rate (20%) on the total value of your donation, which you can pass on to the charity.

Please visit the HMRC website to find out more about claiming back higher rate tax.

How do I Gift Aid my donations?

Please contact us in the Belfast office by emailing or calling 028 9064 8133. We can then provide you with the appropriate form to be completed..

All our online donation forms and printed donation forms also include a Gift Aid declaration.

What is a Gift Aid declaration?

A Gift Aid declaration is a statement made by an individual taxpayer confirming that they would like Christian Aid to reclaim tax on their donations.

How long does the declaration last for?

A Gift Aid declaration covers past, present and future donations made to Christian Aid. We can claim Gift Aid on past donations that have been made in the last four years and we can continue to claim Gift Aid unless you tell us otherwise.

How can I change or cancel my Gift Aid declaration?

Please notify Christian Aid if you want to cancel your Gift Aid declaration, change your name or home address, or no longer pay sufficient tax on your income and/or capital gains.

Can I claim Gift Aid if I live in the Republic of Ireland?

If you are a taxpayer in the Republic of Ireland you can ask for your donations to be made tax-efficient by contacting our Dublin office on 01 496 7040.

Can I claim Gift Aid on my company's donation?

Gift Aid can be claimed on donations from individuals. Company donations do not qualify for Gift Aid.

Who can I contact for more information?

If you have any further questions about Gift Aid, please contact us by calling our Belfast office on 028 9064 8133.